The Advising Office strives to provide all College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate and graduate students with accurate information regarding academic matters in a friendly and timely manner. Academic advisers in the College of Arts and Sciences are here to assist you with developing and implementing academic planning to support you in attaining your educational and professional goals.

Communicate with an adviser in the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office – Student Affairs when:

  • You have forms requiring the Dean’s approval,
  • Need academic probation advising,
  • Have been academically dismissed;
  • Need to request an Arts and Science Academic Progress Check Online.

Contact an adviser by email at, or call (850) 644-1081.

Communicate with a departmental adviser when:

  • You need academic advising and course planning,
  • To resolve a map hold,
  • To initiate a major change,
  • To complete a Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Appeal memo,
  • For proof of degree applicability for Financial Aid,
  • To add a course, and
  • For course credit evaluation.

Review the master list of departmental advisers to find your contact.

University and college graduation requirements


Please refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin corresponding with your Program Requirement Term for detailed information regarding University graduation requirements.

Transfer students will be expected to satisfy all FSU Bulletin requirements corresponding to the academic year in which the student first enrolled at Florida State University. However, they may choose to "adopt" the requirements stated in the bulletin in effect for the academic year in which they enrolled at a Florida public community college.


    • Each department sets the specific requirements for completion of the major(s) in that department. Students should meet with the department adviser in the intended major on a regular basis (e.g., once a semester) to lay out a plan of study. Since the required curriculum may change over time, it is important to refer to the appropriate edition of (or contact the department adviser) to be aware of specific requirements.
    • Students need to be aware that no more than 4 hours in courses counted toward the major can also count toward General Education requirements. 
    • Students must complete an approved minor.
      • In an attempt to ensure that each student who graduates from the College of Arts and Sciences has a broad, liberal education, a concentration of courses in a department outside the major department is required. It is the responsibility of the student to meet the requirements for a minor based on information provided in the General Bulletin. While many minors require only twelve (12) semester hours, others may require as many as eighteen (18) semester hours. The minor department does not have to be in the College of Arts and Sciences. If you have questions about the availability of specific courses, the preferred sequences of courses, etc., please contact the academic adviser for the minor department.
      • A complete list of minors can be found at
      • Requirements for each minor can be found in the Undergraduate Bulletin at
      • Although most majors in the College of Arts and Sciences require selection and completion of a specific academic minor, this is not true for the following programs: secondary science/math teaching; humanities; foreign language/business; and certain science majors that have a required collateral minor.
      • In addition, students completing a double major do not have to complete a minor. Students must declare additional majors before accumulating 90 earned hours. 
    • No courses used in satisfying major, foreign language, or Liberal Studies requirements may also be counted toward the minor. 
    • Students pursuing two degrees must have a separate minor for each degree that is awarded by this college. If one of the degrees is to be awarded by another college in the university, the dean's office of that college will specify whether minor requirements must be satisfied.
    • While students may choose to pursue additional minors, only one minor per degree will be verified for graduation and can be considered degree applicable for financial aid. 
    • Florida State University requires study of a foreign language in high school as a condition for acceptance to the university (two years at the high school level). However, all students who intend to graduate with a bachelor's degree (either a B.A. or B.S.) from a department in the College of Arts and Sciences must show language proficiency beyond that required for university admission. Specifically, students must demonstrate proficiency equivalent to or beyond that attained upon completion of the intermediate level course (2000-level) in a language other than English.
    • Proficiency in an ancient or modern foreign language can be demonstrated by successful completion of enrollment in a 2000-level course in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hebrew (Biblical or Modern), Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish. All coursework used to fulfill the language requirement must be completed with a grade of “C-“ or better, or an S grade if taken on an S/U basis. Proficiency equivalent to completion of a 2000-level language course may be demonstrated through exemption or placement examinations. 
      • Modern Languages Exemption and Placement Options
        • Students who wish to continue their studies in French. German, or Spanish and have not already received college credit for that language are required to complete the mandatory (no cost) placement exam through the Center for Assessment and Testing to determine appropriate language course placement. Please refer to the Center for Assessment & Testing website ( for additional details about testing dates and registering an examination. After completing the placement test, students should contact the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics ( for proper course placement. 
        • Proficiency (through the 2000-level) and/or college credit may be earned for language through the placement exams or CLEP examinations. These exams are not available to students with any prior college credit in the language. The placement and CLEP exams are scheduled through the academic year by appointment. Please refer to the Center for Assessment & Testing website ( for additional details about testing dates and registering an examination. 
        • Students of other modern languages who have had previous instruction in the language must consult the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics ( for proficiency evaluation and proper course placement. 
        • Native speakers of any language other than English may be exempt from this requirement but only after demonstration of proficiency based on a placement examination. It is advised that such students contact the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics to receive specific information about exemption and enrollment options. 
      • Classical Languages Exemption and Placement Options
        • Students who wish to demonstrate proficiency in a classical language (i.e., Greek, Latin) should contact the Department of Classics (644-4259) for information about courses and exemption options. 
        • Students who wish to demonstrate proficiency in either Biblical or Modern Hebrew should contact Dr. David Levenson ( in the Department of Religion for information about exemption and enrollment options. 
      • American Sign Language Exemption and Placement Options
        • Students pursuing the Bachelor of Art and Bachelor of Science degrees in the College of Arts & Sciences may substitute American Sign Language (ASL) for the foreign language requirement except where a particular foreign language(s) has been specified by a major or department. Those students choosing to use ASL to satisfy the College's foreign language requirement must complete up through the course ASL2160C with a grade of “C-“ or better. ASL courses may not be taken for a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) or Pass/Fail (P/F) grade. These courses may not be available to non-Communication Science and Disorders majors every semester.
        • Students who have taken previous coursework in ASL should contact the School of Communication Science & Disorders through the College of Communication and Information for the current ASL Placement Testing policy. 
      • Students with no prior experience in the language they wish to study are not required to complete a placement exam and would enroll in the 1120 level of the language if interest. 
      • Students with college-level credit in a language will have their course placement level determined based on the evaluation of the transfer work completed. 
title-inside title-centered