Policies and Procedures

University Requirements

Please refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin corresponding with your Program Requirement Term for detailed information regarding University graduation requirements.

Transfer students will be expected to satisfy all FSU Bulletin requirements corresponding to the academic year in which the student first enrolled at Florida State University. However, they may choose to "adopt" the requirements stated in the bulletin in effect for the academic year in which they enrolled at a Florida public community college.

College Requirements 

  • Completion of a major
    • Each department sets the specific requirements for completion of the major(s) in that department. Students should meet with the department adviser in the intended major on a regular basis (e.g., once a semester) to lay out a plan of study. Since the required curriculum may change over time, it is important to refer to the appropriate edition of http://registrar.fsu.edu/bulletin/undergraduate/ (or contact the department adviser) to be aware of specific requirements.
    • Students need to be aware that no more than 4 hours in courses counted toward the major can also count toward General Education requirements. 
  • Completion of a minor
    • Students must complete an approved minor.
      • In an attempt to ensure that each student who graduates from the College of Arts and Sciences has a broad, liberal education, a concentration of courses in a department outside the major department is required. It is the responsibility of the student to meet the requirements for a minor based on information provided in the General Bulletin. While many minors require only twelve (12) semester hours, others may require as many as eighteen (18) semester hours. The minor department does not have to be in the College of Arts and Sciences. If you have questions about the availability of specific courses, the preferred sequences of courses, etc., please contact the academic adviser for the minor department.
      • A complete list of minors can be found at http://www.academic-guide.fsu.edu/minors
      • Requirements for each minor can be found in the Undergraduate Bulletin at http://registrar.fsu.edu/bulletin/undergraduate/
      • Although most majors in the College of Arts and Sciences require selection and completion of a specific academic minor, this is not true for the following programs: secondary science/math teaching; humanities; foreign language/business; and certain science majors that have a required collateral minor.
      • In addition, students completing a double major do not have to complete a minor. Students must declare additional majors before accumulating 90 earned hours. 
    • No courses used in satisfying major, foreign language, or Liberal Studies requirements may also be counted toward the minor. 
    • Students pursuing two degrees must have a separate minor for each degree that is awarded by this college. If one of the degrees is to be awarded by another college in the university, the dean's office of that college will specify whether minor requirements must be satisfied.
    • While students may choose to pursue additional minors, only one minor per degree will be verified for graduation and can be considered degree applicable for financial aid. 
  • Foreign Language Proficiency
    • Florida State University requires study of a foreign language in high school as a condition for acceptance to the university (two years at the high school level). However, all students who intend to graduate with a bachelor's degree (either a B.A. or B.S.) from a department in the College of Arts and Sciences must show language proficiency beyond that required for university admission. Specifically, students must demonstrate proficiency equivalent to or beyond that attained upon completion of the intermediate level course (2000-level) in a language other than English.
    • Proficiency in an ancient or modern foreign language can be demonstrated by successful completion of enrollment in a 2000-level course in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Hebrew (Biblical or Modern), Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish. All coursework used to fulfill the language requirement must be completed with a grade of “C-“ or better, or an S grade if taken on an S/U basis. Proficiency equivalent to completion of a 2000-level language course may be demonstrated through exemption or placement examinations. 
      • Modern Languages Exemption and Placement Options
        • Students who wish to continue their studies in French. German, or Spanish and have not already received college credit for that language are required to complete the mandatory (no cost) placement exam through the Center for Assessment and Testing to determine appropriate language course placement. Please refer to the Center for Assessment & Testing website (https://distance.fsu.edu/testing) for additional details about testing dates and registering an examination. After completing the placement test, students should contact the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics (369 Diffenbaugh, 644-2606) for proper course placement. 
        • Proficiency (through the 2000-level) and/or college credit may be earned for language through the placement exams or CLEP examinations.  These exams are not available to students with any prior college credit in the language. The placement and CLEP exams are scheduled through the academic year by appointment.  Please refer to the Center for Assessment & Testing website (https://distance.fsu.edu/testing) for additional details about testing dates and registering an examination. 
        • Students of other modern languages who have had previous instruction in the language must consult the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics (369 Diffenbaugh, 644-2606) for proficiency evaluation and proper course placement. 
        • Native speakers of any language other than English may be exempt from this requirement but only after demonstration of proficiency based on a placement examination. It is advised that such students contact the Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics (369 Diffenbaugh, 644-2606) to receive specific information about exemption and enrollment options. 
      • Classical Languages Exemption and Placement Options
        • Students who wish to demonstrate proficiency in a classical language (i.e., Greek, Latin) should contact the Department of Classics (644-4259) for information about courses and exemption options. 
        • Students who wish to demonstrate proficiency in either Biblical or Modern Hebrew should contact Dr. David Levenson (dlevenson@fsu.edu) in the Department of Religion for information about exemption and enrollment options. 
      • American Sign Language Exemption and Placement Options
        • Students pursuing the Bachelor of Art and Bachelor of Science degrees in the College of Arts & Sciences may substitute American Sign Language (ASL) for the foreign language requirement except where a particular foreign language(s) has been specified by a major or department. Those students choosing to use ASL to satisfy the College's foreign language requirement must complete up through the course ASL2160C with a grade of “C-“ or better. ASL courses may not be taken for a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) or Pass/Fail (P/F) grade. These courses may not be available to non-Communication Science and Disorders majors every semester.
        • Students who have taken previous coursework in ASL should contact the School of Communication Science & Disorders through the College of Communication and Information for the current ASL Placement Testing policy. 
      • Students with no prior experience in the language they wish to study are not required to complete a placement exam and would enroll in the 1120 level of the language if interest. 
      • Students with college-level credit in a language will have their course placement level determined based on the evaluation of the transfer work completed. 
  • Academic Progress Checks
      • Students must initiate an Arts and Sciences Academic Progress Check online upon earning a minimum of 80 semester hours. If a college academic progress check hold has been placed, please submit your request online and allow 1-2 business days to have the hold lifted during peak times (e.g., first week of classes, during registration windows). Holds are processed in the order that they are received. 
      • The Arts and Sciences academic progress check will indicate whether college and university requirement are completed and which still need to be completed. In addition, the respective academic department will indicated what, if any, course must be taken to complete the requirements for the major and associated collateral minor where applicable. 
      • Click here (instructions for you: keep the link to the graduation check request) to initiate an Arts and Sciences Academic Progress Check. 
      • Student will receive a pick update when the submission of the college Academic Progress Check is completed. Students will also be emailed and a registration hold will be placed with the Arts and Sciences Academic Progress Check is ready for pick up in 010 Longmire Building. 
      • Student must initiate a Registrar’s Academic Progress Check online once a registration hold has been placed. 
      • After you submit your request, the University Academic Progress Check hold will be removed by the Registrar’s Office within one business day. 
      • You will receive an email notification after the Graduation Services staff completes their review. A new link will appear on the request page, allowing you to download your graduation check. Alternately, you may pick up a copy of the University Registrar’s Academic Progress Check from the Graduation desk located in University Center A, Room 3900. Business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. No appointment is necessary. The following students are exempt from the requirement: students who have already requested the University Registrar’s Academic Progress Check/Graduation Check, and those students with prior bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degrees. 
      • Keep this line as is. "Click here to be directed to the Registrar’s Office website.”
      • IMPORTANT: Requesting an Academic Progress Check is NOT the same as applying for graduation. 
  • Graduation
    • Graduation Application Process
      • You should apply for graduation during the second and third week of the term when you will be completing all degree requirements. Please refer to the University Registrar’s Graduation Calendar for specific deadlines and important dates.
      • Submitting the Graduation Application Online
      • Under myFSU Links on the left-hand side of the screen, click the SC icon.
      • Under the Academics area, click the drop down box arrow and select Apply for Graduation.
    • Process to be Late Added to the Graduation List
      • Contact your major advisor to obtain a graduation clearance and complete the “Late Request to Apply for Graduation” form. If you have more than one major, you will bring a graduation clearance for each additional major to your primary major advisor.
      • If your primary major is housed in the College of Arts & Sciences, your advisor will forward your graduation clearance(s) and the “Late Request to Apply for Graduation” form to the College of Arts & Sciences Student Affairs Office for review to ensure that you will be completing all degree requirements that term.
        •  If you are eligible to be late added to the graduation list, your “Late Add” petition form will be forwarded to the FSU Registrar’s Office so that you can be officially added to the graduation list. You will be sent an email to your FSU email account indicating this action has been taken.
        • If you are not eligible to be late added to the graduation list, you will receive an email outlining the issue.
    • Early Walker Policy
    • Students who are not completing all degree requirements should not apply for graduation. Students who wish to participate in a graduation ceremony prior to completing all degree requirements must contact the Graduation section of the FSU Registrar's Office (UCA3900) to obtain an Early Walker Application by no later the end of the third week of classes, though students are encouraged to submit their application as early as possible.
    • If students are unable to participate in the graduation ceremony during the term in which they graduate, they can be permitted to participate in a future graduation ceremony within one year after they officially graduate. These "Late Walker" requests are always approved.
    • Impact on Future Registration
      • After you apply for graduation, a stop will be placed on any future registrations unless you have been readmitted to the university or your name has been removed from the graduation list.
      • When you receive a degree from the University, you are "discontinued" as a student. If you wish to continue as special (non-degree seeking) student, or to work on a second bachelor's degree, you must apply for readmission to the University through the appropriate section of the Admission's Office.
      • Students seeking a Doctoral or Master's degree must be admitted through the Graduate Admissions Office.
title-inside title-centered