Students pursuing a thesis-type master’s degree must complete the following university and college requirements. Please see your departmental advisor for additional departmental requirements.
Total hours: Minimum 30, of which at least 18 must be taken on a letter-graded basis.
Time limit: Master’s students must complete all requirements for the degree within 7 years of beginning coursework. (A student starting in Fall 2012 would have until the end of Fall 2019 to complete the master’s degree.) Students supported on graduate assistantships in their final term must be supported for the entire semester and enrolled full-time unless they have been granted approval for an underload by The Graduate School. Approval for an underload requires that all degree requirements be completed, all paperwork submitted and the assistantship terminated by the 30th day of the term.
G.P.A.: A graduate student must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative graduate grade-point average (GPA) to be eligible for the degree.
Thesis hours/ final term registration: Students must successfully complete a minimum of 6 hours of thesis credit and must be enrolled in a minimum of 2 hours of thesis credit during the term in which they graduate.
Thesis defense: Students writing a thesis must register for the Thesis Defense course and receive a grade of “P” during the term in which they actually defend their thesis. Students should only register for thesis defense once.
Special Master of Arts (M.A.) requirements: In addition to the requirements listed above, candidates for the Master of Arts degree must meet the following requirements:
- Proficiency in a foreign language demonstrated by satisfactory performance on the Graduate Reading Knowledge exam, or certification by the appropriate language department as proficient, or completion of 12 semester hours in a foreign language with an average grade of “B," or four years of a single language in high school.
- Six or more semester hours of graduate credit in the following fields: art; classical language, literature, and civilization; English; history; humanities; modern languages and linguistics; music; philosophy; religion; and theatre.
Required forms: There are a number of forms required by the Graduate School prior to being cleared by the manuscript advisor. For a complete listing of these forms, please look at the Grad Space section of Blackboard.
You should have the following forms with you at the time of your thesis/dissertation defense in order to get the signatures that are required:
- Final Term Degree Clearance Form
- FSU ETD Access Agreement Form
- Manuscript Signature Form (The College of Arts and Sciences does not require that the dean's signature be included on this form.)
Any other departmental forms that may require signatures from your committee members