Preparing for Fall 2020 – Frequently Asked Questions

The College of Arts and Sciences is excited to welcome you back for the Fall 2020 semester. We are here to assist you, regardless of if you are enrolled in face-to-face or online courses.

We know you may have questions, so we have compiled a comprehensive list of FAQs that aim to address many common undergraduate situations.

If you have specific questions, email from your FSU email address. Please do not duplicate your efforts in contacting us, as this will only delay response.

Access the latest university information related to developments and recommendations from the CDC, WHO, and the Florida Department of Health on the Florida State Coronavirus dashboard.

To review the Florida Board of Governor’s guidelines for Fall semester, visit the Fall 2020 Plan Page.

How do I contact my Academic Dean's office?

The best way to communicate with your Academic Dean's office in the College of Arts and Sciences is via email at

Use this email address to submit any form requiring Academic Dean's permission (e.g., S/U forms, late drop, etc.), as well as to request to petition to a drop course(s) or withdraw (dropping all courses) from a current or prior semester (up to one calendar year in the past).

Important deadlines

Review the Fall 2020 Academic Calendar and make sure to note important deadlines such as the end of drop/add period, the prorated 7th and 12th week deadlines for each session, and the graduation application window.

  • Aug. 7 (11:59 p.m.) – Fall 2020 Registration closes
  • Aug. 22 (12:01 a.m.) – Fall 2020 Drop/Add Begins
  • Aug. 24 – First Day of Fall 2020 Classes
  • Aug. 27 (11:59 p.m.) – Fall 2020 Drop/Ends
  • Aug. 31 – Sept. 11 – Fall Graduation Application Period
  • Oct. 9 (11:59 p.m.) – 7th Week deadline
  • Nov. 13 (11:59 p.m.) – 12th Week deadline

How do I change a course to a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading basis for Fall 2020?

The College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office – Student Affairs will begin review of Fall 2020 S/U forms Aug. 24. Submit these through Student Central or via email to

The process has changed, so please read this section thoroughly.

Students may choose to change one letter-graded class a semester to a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading basis by 11:59 p.m., Friday, Oct. 9 (7th Week deadline).

The class must meet one of the following requirements:

  • The class is a language class (Spanish, French, etc.) used for the Arts and Sciences foreign language proficiency requirement; or
  • The class is being used as an elective towards the minimum 120 hours for graduation and/or the minimum 45 hours at the 3000/4000 level.
    • Courses satisfying major requirements (including prerequisites), minor requirements, or those being used to meet general education or other university graduation requirements CANNOT be taken on a S/U basis.

Spring 2020 was an unprecedented semester. Please note that normal university policies are in effect for changing grading basis for Fall 2020 courses.

The S/U form is available online for students meeting the following criteria:

  • The student has an FSU GPA of 2.5 or is in their first semester at FSU;
  • It is between the first day of classes and the 7th week deadline; and
  • The student is enrolled in a course that is letter-graded and not in the College of Business.

To use the online S/U form, select the enrolled course you would like to be changed to S/U from Student Central > My Classes tile > Permit to Change Course to S/U link.

The submitted form is then routed to your Academic Dean’s office for review.

If approved, the form routes to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

If denied, you will receive an email and push notification directing you to view the comments entered by your Academic Dean’s Office in your My Tasks tile > In Progress/ Completed Forms link.

If the online form is not available to you, it is because you do not meet the criteria outlined above. In these cases, if you have an FSU cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, you can complete the “Undergraduate S/U Form,” found on the Registrar’s website, and email the completed form to the College of Arts and Sciences Academic Dean's Office - Student Affairs Office at by 11:59 p.m., Oct. 9 (7th Week deadline).

No exceptions will be approved after the deadline.

How do I request permission for an overload for Fall 2020?

Complete the College of Arts and Sciences Course Overload Permit Request form and submit it to for review. Please include the course(s) you are planning to add if the overload is approved and your anticipated graduation semester.

How do I ensure I am on track for Fall 2020 graduation?

Your first step in ensuring that you will complete degree requirements for Fall 2020 graduation is to reach out to your major adviser to confirm you’ll be completing all major requirements. You should also share your completed Arts and Sciences academic progress check with your adviser to confirm you have completed all college and university requirements.

If you have questions or concerns and wish to reach out to your Academic Dean’s Office for verification of graduation requirements, email with your specific questions once your final Fall 2020 schedule is in place.

If you will complete all your degree requirements in Fall 2020, be sure to apply for graduation via starting Aug. 31 and through Sept. 11.

If you do not apply for Fall 2020 graduation by the Sept. 11 deadline, contact your academic adviser via email to initiate the Late Add Graduation process.

How I get into a class that is full?

Email the department offering the course to see what the best strategy is for trying to get into the full course. Some departments may offer a waiting list. Drop/Add is open from 12:01 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 22, through 11:59 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 27, 2020. Many students make changes to their schedules throughout the day and night hours during Drop/Add, so you should check frequently during that period to see if a seat has become available. Students who are persistent in checking for open seats are often able to get into a full course when another student drops the course.

How do I request to take a graduate course as an undergraduate?

Communicate with the academic adviser in your major to verify first that is is advisible for you to take a graduate course. The adviser can also help you navigate this process. If taking the course is appropriate, download the Request to Take Graduate Courses form from the FSU Registrar’s website and complete following fields:

  • Last Name
  • First Name
  • Middle Initial
  • Year (e.g., 2020)
  • Term (e.g., Fall)
  • Class Reference Number (this is usually in parentheses right after the section number)
  • Course Prefix and Number (e.g. ENL5000)
  • Section
  • Hours (e.g., 3 )
  • Credit will be counted as Graduate and/or Undegraduate credit
    • Only students in an approved combined pathway program may select to have a graduate course count for both undergraduate and graduate credit.
  • Total course load approved for this term
    • Undergraduate students taking graduate courses are permitted a maximum enrollment of 15 hours.
  • Email the completed form to the instructor of the graduate course you wish to take to request their approval.
  • Once the instructor has approved the form, email the form to the department chair/designee offering the graduate course to request their approval.
  • Email the completed form to to request approval from your Academic Dean.

How do I change my major, add an additional major, or request to be set up as a dual-degree-seeking student?

All major changes, including adding an additional major or being set up as a dual degree dual-seeking student, for any major housed in the College of Arts and Sciences are initiated by contacting the academic adviser for the major you wish to join. The adviser will determine if you are eligible to update your major(s) and will provide you with academic advising and the appropriate form(s) to complete.

Students who have 90 or more earned hours and are requesting to add an additional major or to be set up as a dual degree-seeking student will be required to complete a petition. The completed petition composed of the major change form, completed academic plan, and academic progress checks for each major involved should be emailed to for review. The College of Arts and Sciences will forward materials as needed if the student’s primary or secondary major is housed in another academic college.

How do I add or change my minor?

Only one minor per degree is needed to meet the College of Arts and Sciences minor requirement for graduation. Please note that minors do not appear on transcripts, nor do they appear on diplomas.

You will formally declare your minor when you request your Arts and Sciences academic progress check, if your major does not have a collateral interdisciplinary minor built into the major.

If you wish to change your minor after your College of Arts and Sciences academic progress check has been completed, you may email our office to notify us that you have changed your minor. We will add this information to your file so our evaluators will be aware of the change at the point of graduation, but we will not issue an additional academic progress check or update the previously issued progress check. Please review the minor requirements listed in the FSU Academic Program Guide to ensure you are meeting those requirements.

How do I initiate a retroactive course drop and withdrawal petition?

If you wish to drop courses from a prior semester because you have documented extenuating circumstances outside of your control including medical/mental health conditions for which you were getting treatment, email to let our office know which course(s) you wish to drop for which semester, and for what reasons. We will provide you with the appropriate petition based on your statement.

The College of Arts and Sciences Course Drop/Withdrawal Committee will consider course-drop and withdrawal petitions within one calendar year of the semester in question.

Administrative course-drop/withdrawal petitions and the required supporting documentation will be reviewed by the College of Arts and Sciences Course Drop/Withdrawal Committee.

Medical/mental health course-drop and withdrawal petitions and required supporting medical/mental health documentation are reviewed by the University’s Medical/Mental Health Course Drop/Withdrawal Committee and a recommendation is provided to the College of Arts and Sciences Course Drop/Withdrawal Committee for a final decision.

I was academically dismissed. What are my next steps?

If you were academically dismissed after Summer 2020, check your FSU email account for an email sent from our office the night of Aug. 4, 2020, with the subject line “ACTION REQUIRED: ACADEMIC DISMISSAL.” This email directs you on your next steps.

If you were academically dismissed prior to Summer 2020, email to inquire about your next steps for reinstatement/readmission.

I am on academic probation. What are my next steps?

If you were placed on academic probation after Summer 2020, check your FSU email account for an email sent from our office the night of Aug. 4, 2020, with the subject line “ACTION REQUIRED: ACADEMIC PROBATION.” This email directs you on your next steps.

I have decided to take the Fall 2020 semester off. How to I drop my Fall 2020 classes?

If you are currently enrolled in Fall 2020 courses and no longer wish to take any courses at FSU in Fall 2020, email the FSU Registrar’s Office at before 11:59 p.m., Aug. 27, 2020 (last day of Drop/Add), to request a Fall 2020 Schedule Cancelation. Students are not able to drop their last class online and must request a Schedule Cancelation before the end of Drop/Add to avoid both fee and grade liability.

Other resources

Even though you may be learning remotely in Fall 2020, services are still available to you.

Virtual FSU is a one-stop spot to check out campus engagement opportunities.

Active Anywhere connects you to wellness programs and live and on-demand workouts.

University Health Services is offering telehealth appointments.

University Counseling Center is offering a variety of services including tele-mental health sessions.

Academic Center for Excellence is offering tutoring via Zoom.

Transfer Services offers workshops created especially for transfer students.

Office of Accessibility Services is still assisting students remotely. If you have a disability, be sure to register with and use the services of OAS.

Case Management, offered through the Office of Student Support and Transitions, can provide assistance in a variety of situations:

  • Lack of access to computer with web camera for remote courses,
  • Financial hardship,
  • Food insecurity,
  • Housing crisis, and
  • Serious illness or accident resulting in injury.
title-inside title-centered